No specialty coffee is as popular as a hot post-meal drink like espresso. Espresso first appeared around 1900 in Milan, Italy. There it was once prepared with steam and served exclusively at the bar counter. In southern Europe in particular, it is still the most popular coffee drink of all.
But how can you make an espresso so that it tastes like your favorite Italian coffee? That’s exactly what we explain to you here with a first-class espresso recipe.
What is Espresso Coffee?
When you prepare an espresso, it is basically a more concentrated coffee. This concentration comes about because the hot water is pressed through the finely ground coffee at high pressure.
In contrast to regular black coffee that we use in the morning, it also creates a delicious crema. This is a light brown foam that is comparatively dense. Usually, the specialty is served as a single serving or as a double espresso.
How much caffeine does an espresso have?
Espresso has a little more caffeine than filter coffee, but thanks to the portion size this is of no consequence. So while you get almost 83 mg of caffeine with a cup of filter coffee a single espresso contains 30 mg. Even a double espresso is less caffeinated.
How do you make espresso at home?
You can prepare your espresso in a number of ways. Our recipe below can be carried out with an espresso machine. But if you don’t have one at home, you can do it in four other ways.
- Espresso machine: The best option for a delicious espresso is the portafilter machine. This has the advantage that you have a direct influence on all important settings. The disadvantage, on the other hand, is that the portafilter machine is a little more expensive than other devices.
- StoveTop Espresso maker: Of course, the well-known espresso maker is also available as an option. These are especially popular among students because they are cheap and robust. In fact, decent results can be achieved with the jug.
- Fully Automatic machine: There is probably the largest selection of machines on the market. It is a pure specialist in espresso, which means that you can prepare other coffee specialties such as latte, macchiato, and cappuccino. The price-performance ratio ranges from good to very expensive.
- Pod machine: Of course, capsule and pod machines have also become more and more popular in recent years. These are available from various manufacturers, like Nespresso. You can of course use them to make espresso particularly quickly and easily.
Espresso Recipe: 6 Steps to Make Espresso Coffee with Espresso Machine
If you want to make delicious espresso, we have the perfect guide for you. Just let your espresso machine run hot!
What sounds simple at first glance with two basic ingredients is in fact one of the supreme disciplines in the coffee world: the right preparation of an espresso. What is the best way to combine water and espresso ground coffee? All you need for our espresso recipe is an espresso machine.
- Espresso Machine or Espresso Maker
- Espresso Cup
- 7-7.5 g Finely Ground Espresso Powder
- 25-30 ml Water
- Preheat your espresso cup to get a perfect result at the end. The best way to do this is to fill the cup with hot water and then pour it out again. With the hot water dispenser of your espresso machine, you can do this without any problems.
- If you haven't already, grind your coffee beans. The degree of grinding should be as fine as possible.
- Use your preferred amount of espresso powder. The standard amount for a single shot is 7 grams, although this number is a guide. With 0.5 grams more or less you are also good, so you should find your own optimal quantity.
- Fill the portafilter and smooth the surface.
- Then tamper the espresso powder. This has the purpose of compaction to withstand the water pressure of the machine. In this way, the aromas unfold as desired.
- Brew the espresso into your preheated cup in about 25 seconds extraction time. Enjoy your espresso!
- Blend: Darker blends, often with a high proportion of Robusta, are particularly suitable for espresso. This is because these roasts are typically less acidic than lighter blends.
- Degree of grinding: If you want to make espresso, then you should pay special attention to the degree of grinding of your espresso ground. In order to achieve the desired effect in your machine, the powder should be ground as finely as possible.
- Espresso Machine: The machine must meet the requirements to produce an original espresso. This is especially true with regard to three factors: the temperature of the water, the water pressure, and the quality of the water.
- Human: Of course, you are also a factor in preparing the right espresso. Just follow our step-by-step instructions and you are guaranteed to get a delicious espresso as the end result.
Another useful tip is that, for example, in Italy, home of espresso, people like to serve a double espresso. This of course requires a slightly larger cup and then contains 50 to 60 ml. It is particularly suitable if you want to enjoy the coffee specialty for a, particularly long time. For a double espresso, just double the ingredients.
In addition, you should make sure that your equipment is always clean. Of course, it’s not the most fun part of espresso preparation, but it’s a central one.
What are the best espresso beans?
Recommended espresso beans are those that have been roasted a little darker. In addition, there is usually a higher proportion of Robusta than is the case in filter coffee, for example. The reason for this selection or roasting of the beans is that a high proportion of acid should be avoided.
These acids would dissolve too quickly during espresso preparation due to the high pressure. If you use lighter ground coffee than usual, you will taste clear acidic aromas that stand out more than in filter coffee.
However, light espresso roasts are quite the trend. With them, the most fruity possible aroma should be achieved in the drink.
Espresso is quite rightly one of the most popular coffee specialties, as it is simply delicious like no other. You can prepare a fresh cup in very different ways, with the portafilter machine offering the best taste experience in our opinion. With our compact instructions, you are sure to succeed as a master barista.